Tuesday 14 January 2014

IS PATIENCE STILL A VIRTUE?

Some time ago, I was in a restaurant waiting patiently for my turn, a young lady pressed forward and placed her order. Meanwhile, the waiter was still attending to the person in front of me. Suddenly, the young lady burst into rage, popped her fingers in the air, while rolling her neck and eyes and said to the waiter, “what is the matter with you? What is going on here? Are you not going to answer me or what? Or you want me to leave with my money?”

As she was vibrating, I could feel the heat emanating from her body mixed with the aggression coming from her voice. The waiter, completely taken aback by the sudden outburst of the young lady who was just coming, asked in surprise, “didn’t she come before you?” referring to the person in front of me.

To resolve the insurgence, I added my voice to that of the waiter. I said, with a very soft tongue “she even came before me”. And as the Bible puts it, soft tongue breaks bones. The waiter breathes a sigh of relief and the vibrating young lady mellowed down like a deflating tube. She was immediately humbled and she realised that she was just exhibiting gross impatience. For we came before her and we had every right to leave before her.

After this incidence and a couple of other ones that I’ve seen and I know you must have experienced a couple of such yourself, this question kept coming to me, is patience still a virtue?

This post will not be complete without your input. So please kindly contribute by responding to the question and tell why you think people are no longer that patient. Please no insulting, slanderous, or vulgar comments. For we have all show some level of impatience one time or the other.

Thanks.


13 comments:

  1. LOL I believe its still a virtue and a sign of maturity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patience as a name "I dont like it" bcos the meaning implies long suffering which is one of the fruit of the holy spirit I dont like too. although life is turn by turn........she cud as well b in haste b4 now, dat is getting there b4 u guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely composition .in response to your question if PATIENCE IS STILL A VIRTUE of course yes because there is no need to rush . Life itself is one step an a time .in summary slowly but surely we will all get there

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jimoh. Yes patience is golden

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patience still remains one of the noble virtues hidden in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. na it isnt...technology has made instant gratification an appetite

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...Yea, still believe it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patience is still a virtue and we'll save ourselves a lot of stress if we can exercise this virtue. I will eplain with a personal experience: I once boarded a bike to get to a park where I would board a bus to travel to Aba. I never knew that the park had been restructured since I hadn't been to that town in a long time so when the bike rider got to the park and kept going forward to drop me at the new authorised stop, I started yelling at him and told him to drop me there and then and he did. Standing there where he dropped me, I was attacked by robbers and I lost all the money I had on me that day. If only I had been patient for just 30 seconds...! Golden

    ReplyDelete

  9. True talk bro, but those that make it not to be a virtue any more? Or is it still a virtue but one that has been dispised by d advent of technology?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Patience is an investment...one that either pays or flays. Like every other investment, it follows certain procedures to either succeed or fail. What it is not, is a guarantee for the best result. Patience in Christ is the only thing that is invariable in its outcome... Israel

    ReplyDelete
  11. @jimoh technology has made dat virtue less important....nowadays u notice impatience in all we do...if d internet can give us ansas to questions in seconds why wait too long to get ansas? students or so many people dont read books nowadays wen dey can have d executive summary or d byline given to them in short words.....instant gratifcation...d patient dog no longer eats d fattest bone , dat idea has been jettisoned for d patient dog would die of hunger......hasty generalisation and hasty ansas is wat pple refer to as thinkin outside d box ,spotaneous reactions in decision makin and all 'watnots'....point is a new age has arrived, patience died ;its been so many years...@ essor vivace....i also agree wiv u.patience in jesus christ d very best....but forget d religious angle,patience on its own as a norm and virtue is so so dead....50 feets and countin... Obaro

    ReplyDelete
  12. The question is not whether Patience is Virtue. White will remain white. Patience will always be a virtue. The question is Why are people so impatient??
    We are in the era of fast lane..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adewale J. Oni

    Someone once said that our generation is suffering from "Impatience Syndrome". Impatience is everywhere we look. What causes, for instance, heavy gridlock traffic on our roads? One man's impatience.

    In the words of Paul in Hebrews, for ye have need of Patience,...

    May God deliver us all

    ReplyDelete